In the early 1990s, perfume makers began to introduce vanilla as a significant note in their fragrances. Now, vanilla is a widely used ingredient in a great number of perfumes, largely due to its ‘happy’ scent which is so easily associated with pleasant memories of sweet treats and ice-cream holidays.
Vanilla is not just a ‘feel good’ scent though. Its incredible capacity to expedite healing, improve acne and promote hair growth means that it is a great multi-tasking tool to have in your natural health armoury.
Here’s 8 Surprising Health Benefits of Vanilla:
- It’s good for your heart – research has shown that vanilla can reduce cholesterol levels. This is very important for those who are at high risk of heart attacks and strokes, with lower cholesterol helping to prevent inflammation of the arteries and blood clots.
- It has healing properties – vanilla is rich in antioxidants, which can help prevent the breakdown of cells and tissues in the body and stimulate the body’s natural regrowth. Due to its antibacterial nature, it also serves to boost your immune system and lower stress on the body, making it much easier to recover from injury or illness.
- It’s great for your hair – If you suffer with split-ends or hair loss, vanilla used as an essential oil can strengthen the hair and induce blood flow to the scalp promoting hair growth.
- It can help with anxiety – the strong aroma of vanilla is known to have a direct impact on the nerves that induce calm and relieve stress, particularly when used as part of an aromatherapy treatment.
- It can reduce acne – with its antibacterial properties, vanilla can help to fight breakouts and if used regularly, reduce scars as well as brighten the complexion.
- It promotes healthy digestion – drinking vanilla herbal tea has long been a popular natural remedy that instantly soothes gut inflammation, and helps with other digestion problems like cramping, stomach-ache and diarrhoea.
- It can help to ease respiratory conditions – that’s right! When you’re battling with a cough, cold or respiratory infection, using vanilla extract mixed with a little warm water can help to coat the throat and provide an anaesthetic effect, whilst the antibacterial properties help to reduce inflammation and irritation.
- It can aid weight loss – vanilla can support your weight loss goals due to its natural appetite-suppressing qualities and because the extract of this plant can also help lower cholesterol, it can assist your body and metabolism to run more efficiently.
The benefits of vanilla are not confined to just flavouring your favourite desserts; adequate consumption in your diet can have a significantly positive affect on your overall health. And with a pleasant aroma that calms your stresses, refreshes your mind and revitalises your energy, this amazing plant was the perfect choice as the scent for our first fragranced natural deodorant spray: Pure Aura Lavender & Vanilla Natural Deodorant. Pure Aura is available in Spray formulation, as a Roll On deodorant and in a pocket-perfect 50ml Travel mini.